The BFG is a fun book to read with your child, and since Steven Spielberg is coming out with it as a movie this summer, now is the perfect time to read it.
This book allows your child’s imagination to explore a whole different land, the Land of Giants. The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) is a rather shrimpy giant only about as tall as a 3-story building, and Sophie, a young orphan who emerges as a strong female character. Let your child discover that anyone can change the world, even a small child.
Don’t you forgo the fun in this book…read it together. Get additional tips by checking out the Kids and Teachers’ sections.
Pre-reading: This takes place in England, so finding some of the places mentioned gives kids a place to start www.mapsofworld.com.
- Find and click on United Kingdom.
- Find London and click until you find Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park
- Ask what beans could be a type of human beans?
- Ex. navy beans, chili beans, lima beans.
- Make up your own bean names.
- Ex. baked beans could be baker beans.
- Have a bean meal. You and your child can do a search of your recipe books or do an online search for bean recipes. Enjoy!
After reading: plan to see the movie when it comes out in July 2006.